Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Early in the A.M...

Been up all night. Seems to happen more frequently these days. Something I've learned is that I do enjoy seeing the gradual progression of light being reintroduced to the outside world. It's been kind of hazy here and there this morning, with the promise of scattered thunderstorms in the afternoon time. (Looking forward to that...but then I always do.) It was 6:30...ish...and I was looking out the kitchen window watching a cute little squirrel that was sitting back on its haunches munching on a nut of some sort. There was a second squirrel hunting around the bank for nuts, too. Think they might have been 'an item'. Anyhoo, I decided that I needed to snap a photo of the critters. Grabbed the camera (Oooooo, just heard some thunder~woo hoo!) and tried to go out on the screened porch as quietly as possible. Was able to get by the screen where I had a clear view of him, and he had remained in position the whole time. I was obviously going to have to snap the pic through the screen. I've taken some good pictures through the screen before. They come out really well as long as the flash is off. Guess I don't need to explain what happened next, huh? Yep...the flash went off, spooked the squirrel, and the picture didn't turn out. At all. Don't know where the second one went, but my intended photo target skittered up to the base of a big pine tree growing by the river bank. Determined to get some kind of picture of him, I put on my flip flops and went outside the porch. He ran up the tree and did a bunch of death defying branch jumps, but every picture I snapped just showed pine tree branches and pine needles. Damn... As I headed back to the porch I got a pleasant surprise.
Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com
Our hydrangea bushes have blooms. I'm quite surprised. If you had seen them a few months ago, you would have seen what appeared to be dead bushes. They were covered in dead leaves and the limbs (?) were brown and brittle. Glenn and I thought they were history. Then one morning we noticed that the grounds crew that comes through every Wednesday had pruned them down. Way down. Think the 'limbs' were about six inches long if that. A little bit after that, we were surprised to see some green appearing. Then a little after that, new shoots started coming up. Now the bushes are very leafy and green, and today I noticed that they are actually flowering. I figured that we wouldn't see any flowers until next season, but there they are. Not long after I arrived in Savannah, I googled hydrangeas to see what their care entailed. I did learn that they do well with pruning, but I had no idea they did this well. Didn't remember them getting that brown and dead looking last year. Huh...oh well...
Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com
So...I was able to photograph something after all. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment