Monday, June 21, 2010

Coffee Talk...


It's a hair shy of 5:00am. Strong pot of Joe piping hot in the kitchen, and some face time with the computer monitor. With sleep being at a low right now (well, at night anyway), I've been endeavoring to occupy my mind with...well, things that'll occupy my mind. There would probably be a bit more television in the mix, if early-EARLY morning TV didn't suck. I've never jumped on the infomercial train, so that's out. As much as I enjoy 'Roseanne' and 'The Nanny' (yeah, I'm not afraid to admit it...I've chuckled at 'The Nanny'), I've seen all of the episodes more times than I can count. Mainly because they've been the main viewing fair in the wee hours for quite awhile now. I do sometimes flip over to BBC America's news (since ours stinks), but for the most part I hop on the computer to pass my time. There is more interactivity, and I can update myself on the news stories I'm interested in. Catch up on NPR pieces I may have missed.

On a personal level, things are good for the most part. I really love it here in Savannah. Yeah, the heat and humidity can really kick a gal square in the patootie, but it's part of living in the South. I'm not smack-dab in the middle of the action here like I was in West Hollywood (I was about to type 'WeHo', but that term has always been nails on a chalkboard to me). There everything and anything was in walking distance. I did do a lot of daily walking there, but my physical ailments weren't in full swing yet. Whenever I'm feeling up to it, I do get out for little constitutionals here and there. Enjoy nature and snap some photos. I've learned that the humidity levels greatly effect my joints...my arthritis. The time I really notice a physical reaction is when we're gearing up for a storm. Glenn has a pain reaction to the pressure created by stormy weather, and it appears that I experience that, too. It would figure that one of the things I love most in the world (rainstorms) causes me extreme joint stiffness and pain. I do have pain and stiffness all the time. Frequently it gets so bad I can hardly stand it. I deal with it as best I can (pain meds and time mostly). Some things in life just are what they are...kind of have to accept it and move along.

There are a couple of areas where my life is in a state of flux. It's been a major source of stress, exacerbated by a couple of outside forces. But I'm coping best I can. It's all pretty much over and things are going to pick back up. It's just the last little bit of living on tenterhooks that's gnawing at me at the moment. Living where I do, not having my own mode of transportation, no jobs to be had in my immediate vicinity. Just...stressful. But, as I said, it's all about to change. Finally. Woo-hoo!

I've been crafting a story for an idea I have. Something that poses potential difficulties. The Internet is a vast arena. It holds a lot of creative opportunity. My idea is to write an ongoing...online novel, if you will. Post a new chapter each week. I've read other peoples material online. Written works, comics, etc. I've got all of my basics together in terms of what the story is to be about, etc. The one thing I'm concerned about is 'material theft'. My first thought when the idea hit me, was that I would just start another blog here on Blogger that would be specifically for my writing. Seemed the easiest path. Me being me, I 'Googled' "original written material and Internet security". Not surprisingly, original material theft is a very commonplace problem. Plagiarists doing the old 'copy & paste' deal, and signing their name to it. I'm not an egoist when it comes to my writing, but the idea of some unknown person copying my material for their own personal use (or gain, for that matter) makes my skin crawl. There are some small things one can do from a basic legal standpoint (a widget to attach your name, etc. to your material, so if anyone does steal it your info will stay glued to the bottom). There were a few other minor steps, but it all left me feeling disappointed. I really want to do this. From an entertainment perspective (I'd really enjoy it...and hope readers would enjoy it), but mostly from a creative one. It would also be an excellent motivational tool. Basically, I'm finding myself beating my head on the wall of uncertainty. How the hell do I pull this idea off, and in a relatively secure way? Don't get me wrong. If someone is going to try and rip you off, they're going to do it. I just want to set up a site that I can post my work to, knowing that I've done as much as I can to protect it. Some web sites you visit have a sign-in page. Things are laid out to you. You have to agree to certain terms before clicking an "accept" button. Something like that would be ideal. I'd be comfortable with that. Here's the difficult part: I'm pretty computer savvy, but there's a lot about HTML design that escapes me. I have figured out coding for certain things and have been able to Frankenstein my way through it, but the realm of web site design is an overwhelming one for me. Another element is I need to set something up that won't cost me anything. I also 'Googled' free web hosting...found some sites, but quickly became lost. Yeah, the sites I investigated have layouts you can use, but none of them fit my bill. The formats were all wrong. If I could find something that is more of a simple set-up like my Blogger page where I can plug stuff in if I need to, and that will allow me to add on a sign-in of some sort...well, I'd be in Fat City. If anyone reading this has any thoughts or recommendations on where I can go to set my little project in motion, well lay it on me!

Just heard my 'Dawn Alarm'. Don't know what kind of bird it is, but whenever I hear it sing I know that the gradual introduction of sun will be starting up soon. (Just grabbed the last of the hot coffee...To brew, or NOT to brew~that is the question...) Can see the faint ghost of the moss covered trees out back. For awhile now, I've been wanting to go out for photos around this time. Love taking moody pictures. The moodier, the better. Hmmmmm....maybe tomorrow...

Think I'll go check out BBC America. Catch a little news. Maybe get some perspective from their side of this BP nightmare. Anybody that sees my postings on their Facebook newsfeeds knows this is a subject I've been watching closely. NPR has reported that Britons have been having harsh words about the US, saying that we're being mean to them...worded like that it comes across a tad juvenile, but the fallout from catastophes like this one usually is. Haven't watched BBC News in awhile. Could be interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment