Tuesday, August 10, 2010

The Tide Was High...



The tide got rather high around here this evening. It was a completely different visual experience seeing the marshes submerged like that. As much as I enjoy going for my walks and seeing the wide expanse of green, I kind of wish this level of water was at more of a constant. I had a few pangs of jealousy watching the small boats putting along here and there. A couple of teenage boys in kayaks paddled up our little 'creek' in the back and then back out again. It just looked like such a meditative activity, and I felt myself relax just watching them. Our next door neighbor has a small motor boat he keeps at the bank back here...he'll go out for rides when the tide is in. When I was over by the marsh and the wider expanse looking out at all of that water, he and his brother motored casually by...both of them sitting comfortably back puffing away on a smoke. Wish I could've been out there putting around with them. At some point in the future, I might have to investigate acquiring some sort of small vessel for our amusement. For occasions such as this.

This just in: Glenn said I might want to add the reason why our tide here was abnormally high. Off-shore winds blowing inland made the tide over a foot higher than predicted. Apparently, there's a big storm off shore.

I wonder what the hurricane season is going to be like this year? I know that when the catastrophic events in the gulf were in full swing, the reports were lamenting the fact that the Gulf Coast was supposed to be in for a pretty heavy season. Since I'm not trained in such things, I have no idea of what definite factors effect the trajectory of a hurricane. Savannah does get hit with some heavy storms when a hurricane passes by, but it never gets thrashed by the hurricane proper. Glenn grew up here and said that a hurricane has never hit Savannah. It has seen some heavy storms and flooding, but thankfully it hasn't been hit by an actual 'hurricane'. It would really suck if they said we all had to evacuate. Glenn has mentioned the usual evacuation plan, and it really sucks. There is basically one road out of here that everyone would have to take. We'll probably just stay put if that happens. By the time it was all over, we would probably be sitting in traffic two feet ahead of where we had started. Anyhoo...

Weather is such an unpredictable thing, even though the weather folk would like to think differently. Maybe there will be more offshore winds that will cause the tide to be abnormally high again tomorrow? I can only hope...

No comments:

Post a Comment