Saturday, August 7, 2010

Feral Frustrations...

As a cat person I can understand some people wanting to tend to feral cats. That being said, it really irritates me when I see people doing it. We have quite the feral cat problem, and it is supposed to be even worse on Tybee Island. In the condos here they live mostly in the vicinity of our dumpster...big surprise there. I've seen a variety of felines hanging out in the grass. I've even posted photos of one of them I named Vinnie...a big lop-eared tabby who seems to be the king of the colony. When I've been out on walks, I've noticed a collection of black plastic microwave dishes from frozen dinners near the entrance to one of the cat-doms...a huge tent-like area of leafy vines. Have also seen two particular older women lurking around there. They pull their car up to the curb, pop the trunk, and haul out the edibles for the wild hoard. For a split second I'll have a flash of understanding, but once that passes I'm just pissed. Here's why...

Humans are the reason there are feral cats running around. Mostly because of abandonment, and house cats that aren't spayed/neutered being allowed out of doors. What these well meaning (I do understand that my elderly neighbors think they're doing a good deed) individuals don't seem to be grasping is these are not petty-pet-pet cats. The cats come relatively close to them because they see a source of food, not because they want to cuddle. House cats (the ones we raise as pets) pretty much remain in the kitten state. Feral cats are full blown wild animals that form colonies and hunt. Feeding them causes the overpopulation that a lot of places see nowadays. An overpopulation of unhealthy, flea ridden, mangey animals. These are not cats that get a yearly check-up, so they carry all kinds of diseases. I did some reading and Cat Scratch Fever and rabies are the two main diseases, but they also play host to parasite and fecal matter diseases. Not only does this endanger the pet felines roaming around, it can effect humans, as well. Feral cats also out-compete local wildlife via their hunting and killing, which can impact ecosystems. These are all reasons why feeding the feral cats around here is against the law.

Why am I writing about this? The catalyst for my little rant is something I discovered on one of my recent leisurely drives.
Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com
While driving down a small road behind some buildings, I came across this little cat hostile. It basically is a small roofed structure that contains kitty 'gym equipment' and several big dishes of cat kibble. The sign isn't really readable in the two pictures I took, but it basically says that the structure has been put there by a non-profit group called the 'Islands feral cat project'. It's unclear as to exactly how they achieve the sites main function...it says it's part of the 'Trap-Neuter-Release' program. I've heard about this approach to trying to solve the feral cat issues. To me it just sounds like they're slapping a band-aid on a huge festering wound. One that's being created by people who, out of the goodness of their hearts, are perpetuating a big problem. I say to the 'cat feeders', instead of adding to a growing problem that is already a bit out of control, give your love and attention to a shelter cat. One that is a viable pet candidate and needs a loving home. We have enough of a problem with there being to many homeless pets. Stop adding to a problem that is just bad every way you look at it. Bad for us, bad for the cats, bad for nature...just bad!

Our next-door neighbor, Anthony, submitted a business plan/proposal to the condo powers that be about building a new dock for the residents of the condos to use. It's in the permits process at the moment (these things always take time), but it's all looking good and chances are a new dock will be going up. (It'll go where the current dock carcass is...the one I've taken and posted a number of pictures of.) We are one of several condos that use the same entrance, and if this dock plan does happen we will be getting our own private gated entrance. According to the plans, the new entrance will cut through this side of the community dumpster (all of the condos use the one dumpster/compactor). This side of the dumpster, and right through feral cat central. One day awhile ago I was walking out in front of the building and saw Anthony. Asked him how things were going with the dock, and I threw in something about the cats and the women here who feed them. There had been a meeting about the proposal and residents were urged to show up and voice any questions and/or concerns. Had the feral cat caretakers shown up to complain? Anthony said, no. I did learn that the gals had been told by law enforcement to cease and desist with the cat feeding, but they obviously have ignored the warnings. Well...if and when the dock plans go into effect and construction begins, I'll be curious to see if anyone raises a stink.

As I said before, I dig cats. I understand what the women's reasons most likely are for doing what they deem to be a good deed. That being said, they need to look at the big picture here. They're making a really bad situation worse. I hate to say it, but if fining them (or whatever the laws state) is the only way to deter them then so be it. There are just too many healthy, loving kitty's that need good homes. That's where their energies should be focused.

No comments:

Post a Comment