Friday, February 12, 2010

Tuning in to Reality...

In terms of shows I watch pretty regularly, there are several that fall into the realm of "Reality Television". True, there are some shows on TV that do fit my definition of reality based programming (mostly shows on PBS, Discovery, the National Geographic Channel...'real' stuff), but there is a whole other side of what is labeled "reality based programming". I speak of such ilk as 'The Bachelor', 'The Real World', 'Flavor of Love', etc. So much of THAT type of reality TV is scripted in its own way. Producers coaching and instigating much of what goes on, all in an effort to create 'good TV'. Well, in my opinion there's nothing 'good' about it. Before I move on to the stuff I currently watch, I will admit that there have been a few shows that fall into this section of the category that I (frighteningly enough) got sucked into. Luckily, I usually came to my senses and ran for the hills. There are several reality shows I watch. Some of the ghost hunting variety, and some of the creative variety.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

Paranormal State: This is fairly entertaining as far as ghost hunting shows go. One of the main problems I have with most of these paranormally based shows is all of the background fill they add (eerie music usually), and the fact that the investigators won't shut up. An investigator will say, "Did you hear that?! Oh my God!" No, I didn't hear it because of the music your producers added during post production. Also, you didn't stop blabbing, so your voice is drowning everything out, too. 'Paranormal State' keeps that stuff to a minimum. I've actually seen a few things on there that make one think. Do I believe in the paranormal? For the most part, yes. I've personally had some experiences I can't explain. My general rule is not to believe or disbelieve something until absolute facts are produced one way or the other. I prefer to keep my mind open.

The Haunted: On Animal Planet...most of the paranormally based stories involve family pets, that sort of thing. This show goes the re-enactment route. Dramatizations, interviews with players from said event(s). Pretty entertaining.

(I no longer really watch 'Ghost Hunters'. At the base, I do like that the owners of TAPS approach things initially from a scientific perspective...then if they can't find a logical explanation for something, they concede that it falls under the paranormal. The main reason I stopped watching were the idiots they have working for them. I'm sure they are perfectly nice people, but I found them to be irritating. The other paranormal show I stopped watching is 'Most Haunted', a british show on the Travel Channel. They had some really interesting investigations with findings that did raise one's eyebrows, BUT the woman who hosts the show wouldn't shut her gob and would scream at the smallest thing. If I could've reached through the screen and popped her in the head I would have. Moving right along...)

On the creative side, there are several shows I watch. 'Project Runway', 'Launch My Line', 'Shear Genius'...to name a few. I don't normally watch every single episode, but enough to know what's going on. Don't know if it's necessarily creative, but I tend to watch 'How Clean is Your House?' if it's on. It is horrifying to see how some of those people live. Disgusting! I have gotten some good cleaning tips from that show (like cleaning a cloth lamp shade with a toothbrush and baking soda...works really well).

Cooking shows are an addiction. I love to watch food network (Good Eats, Iron Chef, the competitions-usually themed cakes). 'Top Chef' is a good one. I do catch the odd episode of 'Hell's Kitchen' and Ramsey's 'Kitchen Nightmares'. I usually watch the Gordon Ramsey shows if they just happens to be on while I'm doing something else. For the most part, I don't sit down and "watch" a lot of television...it's usually on as background to other stuff I'm doing.

So...there ya go...

No comments:

Post a Comment