Saturday, February 20, 2010

Flicks...


Took a trek up to the local Mart of Wal yesterday, and noticed the 'Hollywood Video' we rent movies from is closing. The huge "Everything Must Go" sign is what initially caught my attention. Figuring they might have some good deals, Glenn and I ventured over to take a gander earlier today. They had lots of good stuff. All movies leaning to my tastes. Stuff that I seriously doubt many denizens of Savannah, GA would be into. But we left with only four DVD's in hand. (The used ones were 3 for $20) A 'new' copy (not previously viewed) of a "Special Edition" of 'This is Spinal Tap', previously viewed copies of both Hellboy movies, and a previously viewed "Tartan Asia Extreme" film out of Taiwan called 'The Heirloom'.

'Spinal Tap' is a classic. Don't think many who've seen and appreciate it would argue with me there. My favorite moments are too many to list...hmmm...okay, I'll mention two: 1) "This one goes to eleven." 2) The lowering of Stonehenge.

The Hellboy flicks are thoroughly enjoyable. Can't think of anyone better to wield the red prosthetics than Ron Perlman. He kind of is 'Mr. Prosthetic'. Really brings them to life. Probably my favorite films from Del Toro. I have seen other films of his ("The Devil's Backbone", "Pan's Labyrinth", "The Orphanage", "Blade II") all of which I did enjoy, but I really dig these. I happen to also be a fan of the czech actor Karel Roden (he played Grigori Rasputin), so that's a plus, too. These will definitely be viewed more than once.

The last title was my pick. Asian horror is probably my favorite sector of the horror genre, but no dubbing, please. I'm like that with my anime, too. Dubbed english voices are always so lack luster, and so much gets lost in translation. I love the over the top nature of the original soundtrack/language. They had a number of asian movies that I've already seen, but this one I haven't. Here's what the blurb says on the back cover:

"Twenty years ago, a mass suicide occurred in the millionaire Yang household. To this day, the case remains unsolved. Only one heir secretly survived and years later he inherits the family mansion and returns with his fiance.

Mysterious and deadly events begin to take place, the demented legacy of the Yang family curse is reborn and history is soon poised to repeat itself."

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!! I may have to try and slide this one in tonight. There isn't much worth watching on Saturdays. True, the Olympics are on...I'll have to see whats airing tonight. Earlier they had curling...I do dig curling. I prefer the winter Olympics, but for some reason this year I haven't watched that much of the games. No offence to Canada, but one of the things I've always liked about the Olympics (in addition to the sporting events) is the cultural side pieces they air. I'm just not too terribly fascinated by tukes and back bacon...hey! Now if Bob and Doug were sitting in instead of Bob Costas, well...I'd watch that.

No comments:

Post a Comment