Friday, June 26, 2009

Ah, Television...





The selection of decent TV viewing fair has dwindled to depressing levels. What have I been watching? "Primeval", now that's a decent show, and one I make a point of catching when it's on. Cancelled. "Torchwood", another show that I really dig and watch. Cancelled. However, they are going to be airing a special five-part deal starting next month. Throwing us one last bone, I suppose. Better than nothing. I'll miss Captain Jack, but I'm hopeful that he might pop up now and again on future seasons of "Dr. Who". I mean, they can't kill him off in the final episode. The dude can't die.

Dr. Who. There's a show I really dig watching. I've watched the good doctor for many a year. Started during the Baker years, but later went back and watched the Troughton and Pertwee years. There was always a cheesy blue screen charm to the old series, but I do think it was one of the most original and consistent science fiction series around. Sure the low budgets were definitely apparent and some of the acting was questionable, but I always enjoyed it. Was a bit skeptical when I heard they were going to produce it again. Was hoping they wouldn't cock it up too much. So much of the charm had always been in the cheese. Would a new fangled slicker Dr. Who work? When I looked it up online and saw that Eccleston (apparently, he not only left after one season so he wouldn't be typecast as the doctor, he's also supposed to be starring in the new series of "The Prisoner") was going to be playing the doctor, I became quite excited. I've always liked him as an actor. Saw the first episode and decided it wasn't going to be bad after all. The characters and story elements from the old series have been retained in the new and built upon. Enjoy it thoroughly. Bit bummed that it looks like we'll have to wait until next year for new episodes though. Curious to see who this new doctor is since Tennant won't be returning.

Let's see, what else. "Sarah Conner Chronicles", cancelled. "Fringe"...think it was cancelled. "My Own Worst Enemy", a very original and entertaining show starring Christian Slater, cancelled. Why is everything worth watching getting cancelled?! Makes me think that the TV viewing public really loves watching crap since that's all that seems to keep going on and on, season after season.

What am I watching that appears to be sticking around? For a little while at least? Couple of shows on the USA network. Glenn has gotten into a rather new series called "Burn Notice". It's not bad. Stars Jeffrey Donovan, an actor who has charisma out the ying-yang. (He also played Detective David Creegan on "Touching Evil", which only made it one season. THAT was a great show. Very dark.) The always entertaining Bruce Campbell (Mr. "Evil Dead" himself) co-stars. Another show that airs in follow-up is "Royal Pains". A tad cute-sy at times, it's okay. Doctor who works in an ER gets wrongfully blamed, canned, and then blacklisted from every hospital in the NY area. He goes on a trip to the Hamptons and ends up moving there to be a doc for hire to rich people. So far, it doesn't have me wanting to turn it off, so I'm hopeful. Also plan to continue watching "The Ghost Whisperer" and "Supernatural", but they're both in reruns at the moment.

I have formed an addiction to a couple of shows on the G4 network. The goofily hosted "Attack of the Show" (that's where I first saw the above 'gem' of a video during their "Around the Net" segment), and "Ninja Warrior". Only the Japanese could come up with the seemingly impossible obstacle courses that have men from all over coming to try and gain the title. Apparently in Japan, once someone has made it through all phases of the competition, the endorsement deals, etc. come. Those guys are really serious about it, too. Many of them build their own versions of various points of the course so they can master them at home. A lot of contestants don't make it past the first couple of challenges, but it really sucks you in when you see someone who just might make it to the end.

Other than those shows (for the moment anyway), thank goodness for InDemand...

No comments:

Post a Comment