Thursday, April 22, 2010

Out 'n About...

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com
It has really been beautiful here weather wise. Normally I can't really hack the sun, but the temperatures have been in the 60's and 70's, so I cope. There has been a pretty constant breeze, too, so that makes things a lot more pleasant.

The azaleas have backed off a bit. They were in great abundance for the first half of last week and then POOF! They just sort of withered and disappeared. A few bushes are experiencing some minor blooms (including a few bushes outside the back porch), but nothing to compare with the color on the other bushes of a week ago. You could hardly see any green on them they were so...bloomy...

I've been in Savannah for over a year now, but haven't gotten out to eyeball much. True, I haven't been well for a good bit of that time, but there is so much I want to see. Just tooling around looking at houses and streets is highly entertaining. An old city with lots of massive old trees and lots of Spanish moss draped and hanging everywhere...it's a place with a 'mysterious' quality. I think anyone who spends even a little time here will know exactly what I mean.

Have some pictures I've been meaning to post from a couple of outings. The pic up there at the top is from a second trip to the Bonaventure Cemetery. I love that place. I'm sure that there are many more trips in my future. Still want to find Johnny Mercers' grave...he's from Savannah. If the name doesn't ring any bells, he's a well known composer..."Moon River" is one of his. The above angel carving is from a child's burial site. Sad that it houses a child, but really exquisitely done. Had cherubs on all sides.



The pictures in the slide show above are from Fort Pulaski. Savannah has quite a history centering around the 'civil war' and the 'war between the states'. Pulaski is from the 'war between the states'. Was pretty cool. Had visited there when I was young, but think the last time I visited there was in the early 80's when I was in college in Statesboro.

The pictures in the slide show below are from Tybee Island. Mostly from the beach. As with many touristy beach stops, there was a virtual plethora of tacky nick-nack and souvenir shops. In my book, there is 'horrible tacky' and there is 'cool tacky'. At some point, there are a few things that fell into the latter category that I plan to check for in the future.




On a different tack, today is Earth Day. I've never been one to get really fanatically hardcore about many things. That being said, I think there are definitely things that a lot of people can do to make things better for us and the environment. My jury is still out on the subject of global warming. Yes, the planet is changing. Is man contributing? Probably...in a small way... but the planet has gone through changes before without the interference of "progress". There are plenty of naturally occurring phenomena that (over time) could cause the planet to have another 'ice age', could cause things to get unbearably hot, etc. We have seen an increase in earthquakes lately. We just had a volcanic eruption (I saw a news report that said that historically, when that volcano has erupted, the neighboring volcano...a "bigger" one...has always erupted). The probability of planetary catastrophe will definitely occur with or without our help. Does that sound fatalistic? Yes...I'll concede that it does. The earth is going to forge ahead with whatever cycles it needs to go through. We're not destroying the earth...we're destroying the existence of man, if anything. This giant ball is going to exist well beyond us.


Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

Back to the premise of Earth Day. At least to the way I see it. The Earth is a beautiful thing, in many many ways. It sustains us. Physically...spiritually...it signifies different things to different people. Different cultures. After living on another planet known as "Los Angeles", moving back to a more bucolic spot/space has been more than welcome. We really need to start preserving the natural aspects of the Earth now before it's too late...I mean that in relation to man's existence. As I said before, the things we do are effecting human existence not the planets' existence. Will various species of flora and fauna go extinct anyway? Yes, they will. There is a cycle to life. There have been plenty of living things on the planet that have gone extinct through purely natural means. What we need to do is to not speed up a process, or impede nature from taking its course. I could go on a huge, many faceted rant about different elements of the process of nature, survival of the fittest, etc. I guess at the base of what I'm trying to say is we all need to do as many simple, well within our means things to help sustain the natural elements of the planet. Yes, we need to respect Mother Earth, Gaea, Terra mater...whatever name you use for her...but we also need to realise that the existence we are effecting is our own.

There ends my editorialization for today...

No comments:

Post a Comment