Tuesday, January 25, 2011

This Day...What A DRAG...

Had another one of my sleepless nights. (I have been passing out and sleeping through most of the day time hours...annoying, but I am getting some rest.) In the wee hours of Monday morning I was channel surfing and happened upon a documentary film on the LOGO network, 'Trantasia'. Drag queens have always been a fascination of mine. I had a few gay friends growing up, but the number increased starting in my late teens - early twenties. My mother always had an eclectic mix of neat friends, and when she rented the bottom floor of a big purple house in mid-town Atlanta she was right in the heart of 'Boy's town'. The house was about a block away from Piedmont Park, so the annual art festival (she had had paintings of hers in the art show there before), concerts with a picnic in tow, and whatever else was happening were usually on the schedule of events. I lived with her a few times in the early to mid-80's...I was in and out of college for a bit there, and crashed with her during the 'out' periods. During one of my stays with her, I became acquainted with the current Queen of Drag, RuPaul. My mom's landlord, Barbara, knew Ru. Ru came to the house to see her on a couple of occasions when I was home. I happened to be coming or going when Ru was coming or going, so...there ya go. Ru was really nice, but I don't remember her as being the Diva that she is now. I knew about the gay/drag club in Atlanta, but had never been there to see a show. Think that's where Ru had her beginnings. I'm not 100% sure, but I seem to remember it being called "Illusions". (Which might be why the backstage lounge on her 'Drag Race' show is called the "Illusions Lounge".) On a day-to-day basis, I would see a drag queen here and there. However, those days didn't really compare to when I eventually moved to California, and lived in West Hollywood. WeHo (I really hate that abbreviated name for it...) is kind of the Gay capital. Or one of them. I think at one time it was San Francisco, but I think West Hollywood is at the very least tied with SF now. I would see flamboyant, drag, tranny...everything you can think of it's there. A number of years back when La Cage Aux Folles (msp?) was still there on La Cienaga, I took in a few shows. Really spectacular. Those boys really knew how to be girls. (hehehe) There were also a couple of yearly events that took place very near to where I lived. Every Halloween was the big carnival down on Santa Monica Boulevard. That was quite the experience. It was always amazing to see the costumes, and some of those ladies looked amazing! Unless someone said "hey, that's a guy" I don't think that a lot of people would have been able to tell that they were men and not women. The year 'Priscilla Queen of the Desert' came out, there were queens strolling around with ostrich hats on, and everything else imaginable. They really go all out. The other event is the Gay Pride Parade. It would always line up on my street. As much as I support gay rights, I really wish they would have lined up somewhere else. When you are trying to sleep in on a Sunday morning, and are awakened by loud Donna Summer music and shrieking drag queens...well, you're glad it's only one day out of the year.

So...when I came across 'Trantasia', I had to watch. The housework I was trying to complete became sporadic, and then was shelved all together. It would just have to wait until the show was over. Here's the basic premise per IMDB:

Photobucket

"Las Vegas promoters planning a review starring Jahna Steele invited transsexuals to participate in "The World's Most Beautiful Transsexual Pageant," a two-day contest from which eight or so women would be offered jobs in the review. About 20 women arrive for all-night rehearsals and the pageant itself: swimsuit, evening gown, and talent competition, the selection of eight finalists and three prize winners. We follow the women backstage and get in-depth profiles of six: two from Chicago and one each from LA, San Francisco, San Antonio, and Columbia, South Carolina. We meet their families, and we learn about their lives and their journeys of self-discovery and acceptance."

There was quite a mix of personalities, and drag ethics (if that makes any sense). There were a few of the 20 gals that were really turned off because of the sleazy/trashy sensibilities of some of the others. Some consider themselves to be ladies and conduct themselves as such, while others are dressing like street walkers and flashing their hormonally created breasts. At the end of it all, with a few differences (like the changed plumbing...which I don't think the majority of them had), they are people like everyone else. They just happen to have been physically born the wrong gender. For me the most interesting part of the film was when they did their individual bio's on some of the contestants. To hear their back story, and most interesting, to see how their families felt about them. For me the most touching back story was when they were focused on Mimi (Mark). She had it rough in school, but her family was extremely supportive. Her sister was saying that she knew before Mimi even said anything. It's a shame that all families can't be accepting. We're all human, after all. At the end of it all, Mimi was the winner. She and one of the others were absolutely stunning. I can usually tell, but in Mimi's case I don't know if I would know she wasn't a biological female unless someone told me. See what I mean?

Photobucket

That was the beginning of my 'Day of Drag'. The whole day on LOGO was back episodes of 'RuPaul's Drag Race'(which I didn't subject Glenn to...hehe), and the new season premiered last night.

Photobucket

I watched the previous two seasons, so I had to catch the opener for season three. Unlike the other two, I already have a favorite for the win, Raja. He/she totally thinks outside of the box, and does it so well. She won both challenges in episode one. Think that's a good measure of how far she will go. I'm no expert on drag. Can't even begin to know what it's even like to be gay. That being said, I've known a few drag queens and they always talked about how it was about feeling feminine but having fun. There is plenty of room for being camp and over the top, but doing it in a polished and tasteful way. Raven was a bit like that last season, and Raja is definitely like that this season. I think all of the other girls need to watch out.

I recommend it. It's fun, but not without it's drama. Those queens can bite, and they do. I stayed tune for the "Untucked" 30-minute episode that aired immediately after 'Drag Race'. It's of the Queens backstage. The cat claws were definitely out. I'll be curious to see how things progress.

2 comments:

  1. A Day of Drag sounds like fun. :-) Did you ever see the movie Paris Is Burning? It's a documentary about NY drag culture in the late 80s. If you haven't seen it, I recommend it.

    You have led an interesting life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to see that. I do recollect hearing the title, but haven't seen it. If you haven't seen 'RuPaul's Drag Race', it's a hoot. Mondays at 10:00 PM on Logo...

    Ya think so? Thanks. Since I've started the "musings" blog, a lot of stuff is starting to bubble to the surface. Don't know if I find it that interesting since it's myself I'm sharing about. I have a funny/wacky story that I'll be sharing soon. It happened at GSC, and Mark was involved. I'll be curious to see what he remembers about it. It also involved a neighbor of his and Alan's from downstairs, and excessive amounts of beer...

    ReplyDelete